Recently, iEmpathize joined Cherry Creek High School in Denver, Colorado for Global Awareness Day, an event established by the school to connect students to human rights issues around the globe and organizations working on solutions. As you can see in the photo above, we thought this was a great opportunity to invite students to get involved in #MyFreedomDay, a campaign initiated by CNN’s Freedom Network.
On March 14th, students around the world will be holding events to raise awareness about modern slavery. In support of this empowering effort led by our youth, iEmpathize provided CNN’s campaign with a lesson on human trafficking from our exploitation prevention curriculum – The Empower Youth Program – as a resource to help educators and other youth-serving professionals introduce youth to the issue and ways they can get involved.
In addition, in celebration of #MyFreedomDay, students from Soledad Enrichment Action Charter schools in Southern California will be helping iEmpathize lead a workshop for parents. That’s right: teenagers will be helping to teach parents about how to help their teenagers. We couldn’t think of a better way to help parents and youth step into empathy with each other, and we’re so excited to watch these young leaders in action!
You can encourage young people that you know to get involved, too. They can:
- Post a photo of themselves with their own #MyFreedomDay and #iEmpathize hashtags like the one we have above.
- Create a video about what freedom means to them and upload it using the hashtag #MyFreedomDay and #iEmpathize. (Bonus points for sharing how empathy = ending it!) See an example from CNN here.
- Use The Empower Youth Program media posted here at CNN to engage their friends and family.
- Organize their own event to raise awareness on March 14th.
- Get creative! The sky’s the limit!
Inspired to participate? That’s great! We’d love to know what you’re up to and we’d love to share your #MyFreedomDay stories, so we hope you’ll keep us in the loop us at: email@example.com.
Empathy = Ending It!