We are proud to announce two new resources to bring exploitation prevention to youth.
We are adapting The Empower Youth Program, our exploitation prevention program for youth, into Spanish. This new curricular tool will be used throughout Mexico and the United States. Look for this tool to be officially released in 2017!
The Empower Youth Scholarship
Through partnerships with people like you, we will be providing full and partial scholarships of The Empower Youth Program to schools and other youth-serving environments! This exciting new initiative will break barriers to allow prevention education to be accessible throughout the United States and Mexico. This initiative is only possible through donors like you. Applications for the scholarship will open on January 1st of 2017. Check back for details on how to apply at that time!When you give, you become a sponsor who funds prevention opportunities for youth. To learn more, watch the video above!
Did you know?
- Since April 1st of 2015, The Empower Youth Program has been ordered for use in 18 states by more than 90 different youth serving institutions, such as schools, juvenile correction centers, group homes, after-school mentorship programs, and more.
- This work has enabled prevention strategies to reach as many as 7000 youth in just 18 months!
- Students tell us that the program is empowering them. Here are some of their reactions:
- “Something I really liked and thought was helpful was how it told stories about different people. It just really opened my eyes and made me feel empathetic.”
- “This was wonderful, and it really helped me see that it wasn’t my fault that bad things happened.”
- “They helped me understand my positive pulls in my life and to look for red flags that will come up and not to ignore them.”
- “The most useful part was showing how empathy can really end exploitation if everyone contributes, and that you can always be a positive pull in another’s life even if it’s just something like listening to them.”
- “The [most helpful part was the] ways to identify negative pulls and people with disguises. The reason I think this is, I now know how to spot someone wearing a disguise in my life and in my friend’s life. I can now help myself and the people around me I care about.”
- “The most helpful part of this program was talking about the different disguises people wear and what one of the signs [sic]. I wasn’t very informed on this before, but now I feel better about navigating through it.”